Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Book Review- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

10 June 2009
A Different World

Book Read:Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

When I compare my childhood with Harry's, I feel that I lead a very dull and uninteresting life. In this novel, the characters always seem to be involved in sticky situations but always manage to triumph in the end. For example, when Ron, Hermione and Harry had to solve seemingly impossible puzzles to get to the Philosopher's stone and Voldemort, though they met with some initial difficulty, they eventually managed to unravel them and subsequently defeat the latter. As for me, I hardly have any adventures at all, the closest I ever got to it being the time I got lost in a mall when I was 6.

I learned that Good always triumphs over Evil in the end. In this novel, Harry Potter joins forces with his two new-found best friends, Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley, to defeat the evil force, Lord Voldemort, from stealing the Philosopher's Stone to resurrect himself. Harry and his friends find themselves in numerous life-threatening situations, like stuck in the toilet with a raging troll or forced to play chess where the loser loses more than just a game. However, they ultimately overcome these obstacles, even managing to defeat Lord Voldemort himself in the end. Thus, I can infer that no matter how powerful and mighty the dark side may seem, the good side will always emerge victorious.

Comparison of Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort

Harry Potter and Voldemort are different in many ways.

Harry Potter is famous and revered by many in the wizard world, even by his own schoolmates in Hogwarts. The students "gawped at him" and "broke out in hushed whispers" when they saw him. Furthermore, the customers of the Leaky Cauldron thought "what an honor" it was to meet him and "always wanted to shake" his hand. They all know who he is and are in awe of him.

On the other hand, Lord Voldemort is feared and hated by all in the wizard world except his followers, the Death Eaters. He is infamous as he had attempted "taking over" the wizard world and killed those "who stood up to him" "in cold blood". Hence, the wizards and witches were extremely afraid of him and detested him for his massacre of innocent people.

Harry Potter is selfless and willing to sacrifice himself for others. When he knew that someone was going to steal the Philosopher's Stone and that he had to risk his life to pass through the several obstacles to it, he "did not hesitate". When he knew that he had to face Snape or even "You-know-who" again, he bravely chose to go on instead of Hermione. This shows that he cares much for his friends and dares to put himself in dangers for their sake.

Voldemort is selfish and only cares about himself. Though faithful Professor Quirrell helps him in his quest to resurrect his body, he "left Quirrell to die" in the end. Furthermore, Voldemort did not even flinch when Quirrell was "howling in agony" and "hunched in pain", even "screeching at him". He shows "just as little mercy to his followers as his enemies." Thus, I can tell that Voldemort does not even think of the well-being of his devotees but only of himself.


However, Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort share similarities too.

Harry Potter is an great wizard. He was the only one who "had survived" an attack by Lord Voldemort. All others had "perished by his hand". As such, they even refer to him as "The Boy Who Lived". In addition, he managed to defeat Voldemort and Professor Quirell in the end, even though they were powerful wizards and outnumbered him. Only a really good wizard could have done so.

Voldemort is also a strong wizard. He managed to kill all “who stood up to him”, including Harry’s parents, Lily and James Potter. He was “taking over” the wizard world and caused “terrible things to happen”. Hence, though he was no doubt an evil wizard, he was undeniably an able one.

Excerpt from Ronald Weasly’s Point Of View
Going to be my first day at Hogwarts. I’m so nervous I’m perspiring as I stand, waiting at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. “Ron, you’ve got something on your nose.” Darn it. I quickly jerk out of the way but Mom grabs me and rubs my nose. “Mum-geroff.” I wriggle free of her grasp. “Aaah, has ickle Ronnie got somefink on his nosie?” teased Fred. “Shut up,” I mutter, red-faced. Percy soon arrives and Fred and George make fun of him. Mum kisses us goodbye fondly as Fred cracks yet another snide remark about me.
I overheard George saying that the boy we had met earlier was Harry Potter and he had the legendary lightning scar. Ginny begged to catch a glimpse of him but Mom forbade her and warned the twins not to question him. I waved one last time at Mom and boarded the train.
Unfortunately, almost all the compartments all already full. Luckily, I managed to find an empty seat… next to Harry Potter himself! I can barely conceal my excitement and sneak a glance at him. The twins arrive all of a sudden, inviting us to have a look at Lee Jordan’s giant tarantula and introduce me to Harry before leaving. As the door slides shut, I blurt out “Are you really Harry Potter?” Harry nods his head. I gesture towards his forehead and he sweeps his fringe aside to reveal a hidden lightning-shaped scar. I eagerly question him about it for a while and stare at him in wonder before I realize what I’m doing. Embarrassed, I quickly turn towards the window.
Harry asks me a few more questions about my family and I divulge how I pressured I feel, with all 5 of my brothers excelling in Hogwarts. I accidentally let slip how poor my family was and didn’t dare to continue the conversation. Surprisingly, Harry reveals how he too had to wear old clothes and never received proper presents either.

I think the ending is the most interesting part of the book.

The ending was the climax of the story. All the events that happened served the purpose of building up to the ending. The attempt to steal the Philosopher's Stone at Gringotts, the troll at Halloween,the accidental discovery of Fluffy, the three-headed dog guarding the Philosopher's Stone, the dead, bloodless unicorn at the Forbidden Forest all pointed towards someone trying to steal the Philosopher's Stone. Thus, it is the most interesting part of the story.

There was an array of seemingly impossible dangerous obstacles Harry, Ron and Hermione had to face at the end. They had to get pass Fluffy, the Devil's Snare, the deadly game of Wizard chess and many others to get to the thief. They managed to do so using their wits and courage, even sacrificing his/her own life. Thus, with all the action, suspense and fighting, it was no doubt the most dramatic and interesting part of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment