Monday, June 29, 2009

IT Emergency Lesson 2:Favourite poet

My favorite poet is an American known as Robert Frost(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963). I find him interesting and intriguing. I admire him very much, not just for what he achieved, but what he overcame to achieve it.

Robert Frost has an iron will and does not give up easily. His personal life was plagued with grief and loss, his father having died of tuberculosis in 1885 when Frost was 11, leaving the family with just $8. Frost's mother died of cancer in 1900. Out of his 6 children, 4 of them died before he. However, in spite of his tragic losses and setbacks, Robert Frost continued to write outstanding poems and proses, eventually becoming America's most celebrated poet of his time. Hence, I admire him for having the courage to pick himself up each time he fell and never throwing in the towel.

Robert Frost writes deep and insightful poems. For example, one of his most famous poems, The Road Not Taken, tells of how the speaker came upon two yellow roads diverging in the forest and how he took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference. This poem actually symbolizes how the small decisions one makes now can affect your future life greatly. Hence, I feel that his poems are meaningful.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Nothing gold can stay
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold
Her early leaf's a flower;

But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.

Nothing gold can stay.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_(poem)

No comments:

Post a Comment